Saturday, January 31, 2015

TBR Challenge Update 1

I'm doing it.  Im taking a break from buying books.  Gasp!  My goal is to get through "a significant portion" (whatever that is) of the huge backlog of books I own before I go merrily back to my profligate book-buying ways.

I decided to start with the Legend series, by Marie Lu.  I read "Legend" About 2 years ago and liked it.  Since then, both my daughter and niece have pestered me to finish the series -- one they both love -- so we can discuss it.

What better incentive do I need?  Lots of book talk with two of my favorite girls is a great reward.

I wasn't sure I'd remember enough of "Legend" to carry me through to books two and three so I decided to reread book one.  Ultimate TBR pile diminishment? Zilch.  Oh well.  It turned out to be worth it.  I can go on to read books 2 and 3 now without struggling to remember plot points.

Pages: 305

Days to finish:  4, but only because I forgot to bring the book with me one day

Review: 4 1/2 stars based mainly on the fun I had reading it

Laughs:  none really, that I can remember

Tears: twice, but I'm weepy this week.

BIG ISSUES or themes?:  perhaps just that family is what matters. -- both the family you're given and the family you make for yourself.  Also, "Watch out for big evil governments.  They lie."

My thoughts:

"Legend" is a dystopian and is just as much fun as I remembered.  While I wouldn't put it in the same league as a "Hunger Games," (mainly for its lack of moral ambiguity or life lessons) I enjoyed it immensely.  The romance, suspense, and world-building were all deftly handled and engaging.  It is a straightforward dystopian romp that allows us to hate the baddies and cheer for the beautiful, perfectly smart and athletic, teenaged H and h.

The polar caps have melted and humans struggle to live in a world of cramped land and totalitarian military rule.  Plagues and hurricanes routinely sweep through the Los Angeles of Legend, killing many of the poor that the evil military would otherwise be oppressing.  

There were enough mysteries -- both resolved by the end of the book and hanging out there be be resolved in later books -- to keep me reading.  There's a revolution brewing that will likely pull in the H and h.  Hopefully I can finish the next two books quickly before my book club book comes in the mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment